By Chris Read
I was excited when Candace asked me to help her readers by compiling a list of what Dads really want for Christmas this year! I polled the Dad community and have put together a list for all you Moms out there, of the Top 10 items on Dad’s Wish List for this Christmas season. There were many, many responses but these are the top choices, in no particular order.
10. Tools/Hardware – It doesn’t get any more cliché than tools, does it? Even with all the changes in the fatherhood landscape these days, tools are still at the top of most Dads lists. To be honest, I’m not even all that handy but there’s always something in the Canadian Tire catalogue that catches my eye! This year, it’s the Bosch Random Orbit Sander. *Insert grunting man noise, here*
9. Business Clothes – This was the 2nd most requested item from the Dads I talked to and its tops on my list. We’re told to dress for the job you want, not the one you have. While that is great advice, there’s just something about looking nice that can do wonders for your self-confidence. Instead of buying the same old Dad tie every year, why not throw in a matching dress shirt this year as well?
8. Scotch – This one surprised me a little bit. I didn’t realize there were so many scotch drinkers out there but it kept coming up over and over. Thinking it was time for me to try this trend, I asked what a good scotch for beginners would be and was told that The Macallan Single Malt would be perfect.
7. Video Games – COD MW3 – This was one of the easiest ones for me to pick out because it is something that’s near the top of my list. Just because I have 2 kids, a full time job and a relationship to maintain, doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the child that still lives inside of me; and the Call of Duty series is exactly what I count on to let that kid out!
6. Game of Thrones (Books/Seasons) – This is one of the most talked about Book Series/TV show in years. The best part about this show, is that the acting, effects and scenery are so great, you don’t have to be a expert in medieval times to appreciate it. On the other hand, if you loved Lord of the Rings, you are going to fall in love with this show. If you really want to go all out, you can pick up the books and season1 of the show and package them together for your man!
5. Cooking Classes – The times they are a changin’. Not only are fathers more involved in the overall parenting scheme, but there are more stay at home dad’s now than ever before. Part of the responsibility of any stay at home parent, is to come up with healthy meal options for their children. President’s Choice has an excellent cooking program that the whole family can take part in.
4. Touchscreen Universal Remote – Have you seen these things? They are like having your very own robot for your TV! With most of the newer models having built-in WiFi, you may never get your husband off the couch… Wait, scratch that. What I meant to say was that, with a remote like this, your husband will cuddle you on the couch and watch any Twilight movie you’d like!
3. Gift Cards – Okay, before you get all angry at me about how impersonal it is to buy someone a gift card, just hear me out. This isn’t just about that sweater you bought your man, that he pretended to love so he wouldn’t hurt your feelings. It’s not even about the fact that you bought him NHL ’09 for his PS3, when we’re actually in 2012. A gift card can be a nice alternative to help save up for a larger purchase, such as a new TV or golf clubs. Plus, with most people owning some form of iSomething these days, iTunes cards are always near the top of my wish list.
2. Sporting Gear – Do you have a runner in your family? How about a golf enthusiast? Men spend thousands of dollars each year on our sporting hobbies, so why not keep us motivated to stay fit by providing some new gear. Sure a new set of golf clubs can be expensive, but wrap up that new Callaway Driver I’ve been pining over and I’m all yours!
1. Neil Young “Waging Heavy Peace” – For the first time, Canadian rock legend, Neil Young, offers an inside look at his personal life and musical career. Chosen as one of the Amazon Editor’s Best Books of 2012, this promises to be a story that you won’t want to put down.
That’s what the Dads have asked for! Oh, and one more thing before I go. We love homemade gifts from our kids! Paintings, drawings, ornaments, etc…If they help make it, we will love it more than anything you could purchase at a store. I wish you and your families a very Happy Holidays and all the best in the New Year!
Chris is father to two wonderful toddlers and husband to one of the best daycare providers in the land. You can find him writing at his home site, Canadian Dad, and also over at the PTPA. Please feel free to stop by and say hi on his Facebook and Twitter pages, which are his homes away from home.