There’s a Mrs. Roper comeback that’s been brewing under the surface for a few years now but it poised to explode this year. Once the sarcastically fashionable landlady of “Three’s Company,” is now, the unexpected icon of modern womanhood. I first stumbled upon this delightful resurgence after spying a tweet about a Mrs. Roper-themed pub crawl in Hillcrest, San Diego. With caftan-clad devotees of this sitcom legend sashaying through the streets, it got me thinking – why is Mrs. Roper, played by the incomparable Audra Lindley, suddenly the talk of the town?
I shared the pub crawl idea with my besties, half-jokingly musing, “if we don’t do this together someday, we’re failing at life” An epiphany struck me then. Why wait for someday? I might not be jetting off to San Diego anytime soon, but that didn’t stop me from planning the first inaugural Mrs. Roper party in my hometown. And man oh man, did my besties ever bring their A-game. Audra would be so proud.
Scrolling through Facebook reveals even more Roper-mania. There’s the “International Order of Mrs. Roper” and pub crawls honoring the character mushrooming everywhere. The common thread? A non-negotiable dress code of caftans and a dash of short curly hair. Naturally.
But let’s unravel the mystery. Why is our beloved Mrs. Roper re-emerging as a symbol for modern women?
For starters, caftans are a godsend. Let’s face it, they’re the epitome of comfort, concealing all our bits, bobs, and occasional food-baby bumps beneath swathes of breezy fabric. They’re liberating. And isn’t that what the modern woman seeks? A blend of comfort and style, without the constraints of body-hugging attire.
But it’s not just about the caftan. Mrs. Roper, in her humorously flirtatious ways, became an unlikely beacon for community and bonding. Her interactions, though often laced with sarcasm, spoke of genuine connection, understanding, and an indomitable spirit that resonates with today’s women. She embodies the essence of coming together, having fun, and enjoying life’s quirky moments.
In these times, when the world can sometimes feel fragmented, Mrs. Roper reminds us of the importance of community and togetherness. Whether you’re starting a new Facebook group or hosting a Mrs. Roper-themed gathering, you’re not just paying homage to an iconic character; you’re reinforcing the importance of unity, bonding, and shared laughs.
And isn’t that what we’re all looking for? A break from the monotony, a dive into nostalgia, and a chance to laugh with our friends till our sides hurt. Mrs. Roper might have been from the ’70s, but her spirit is timeless. She offers us a touchstone, a common ground to bond over, and a shared memory that bridges generational gaps. It’s little wonder then there’s a Mrs. Roper comeback.
Planning the Perfect Mrs. Roper Comeback Event
So, inspired to throw your Mrs. Roper party? Host a Roper Romp? Here’s the gist:
The most pivotal element of any Mrs. Roper-themed gathering is, without a doubt, the dress code. It’s all about embracing that fabulous, flowy caftan! Not sure where to source one?
- Second-hand Shops: These treasure troves can be gold mines for vintage items. Dive into those racks and unearth a glorious caftan from yesteryears. I found mine at Value Village in the nightgown section. Don’t forget to also look in the multi-cultural sections.
- Raiding Closets: Your mom or aunt might have just the thing. Their fashion relics from the ’70s are not only authentic but might also carry a nostalgic charm you can’t buy.
- Online Marketplaces: Websites like Etsy boast numerous caftan options, spanning from vintage finds to fresh takes on the classic design.
- Hair: Don’t forget the wig!
- Underwear: I mean this isn’t mandatory but there’s always one in the crowd who kicks things up a notch. These custom made underwear were a hit at my party.
While the spirit of Mrs. Roper will undoubtedly be the highlight, peppering the party with some themed activities will elevate the entire affair.
- Parades: Nothing screams celebration like a caftan parade! Let everyone strut their stuff and flaunt their outfits. Consider offering a prize for the most ‘Roper-esque’ ensemble.
- Pub Crawls: Choose a local pub or two and make your stylish mark. A caftan-clad crawl would not only be fun but could also turn heads and get the town talking! (Get your Stanley to be the designated driver)
- Games: Classic party games, with a Roper twist! Think trivia based on “Three’s Company” episodes or charades centered around ’70s pop culture.
Remember, the key is to keep the spirit light and fun. Whatever activities you’d incorporate into a typical party can be “Roper-fied” – just with more style and pizzazz.
Food and Drink:
Mrs. Roper wouldn’t settle for bland, and neither should you. When it comes to catering:
- Throwback Recipes: If you’re looking to go the extra mile, encourage guests to whip up a dish straight out of the 1970s. Jell-O molds, devilled eggs, or cheese fondue, perhaps?
- Throwback Dishes: This is the perfect time to whip out your vintage Pyrex and 70s dishes. It was the perfect excuse for me to whip out my Shat-R-Pruf Spaghetti glasses.
Setting the tone right from the get-go is crucial.
- Timing: Make sure your guests have plenty of advance warning to find their Mrs. Roper outfit. Trust me the perfect caftan is not as easy to find as you might think.
- DIY: If you’re artistically inclined, crafting your personalized invite can add a unique touch. Use ’70s colours, fonts, and perhaps an iconic Mrs. Roper image or quote to seal the deal.
Remember, it’s not just about reminiscing about a bygone era or celebrating a sitcom legend. It’s about cherishing those around us, embracing unity, and being silly. So here’s to the Mrs. Roper comeback, and to all of us channeling her vibes. Cheers! 🍹🥳