I’m going to save your life with Lime Margarita Freezies. Yes. These are just like Mr. Freezies, but with margaritas inside of them. (Yes. Tequila is included.)
Margaritas are awesome, but you know what sucks? Making margaritas.
I know; it’s not rocket surgery. But keeping around the materials, to have ice on hand, to whip out the blender… that’s a pain in the arse. And sure, there’s these handy little frozen cans of the mix. But if you’re going to use one of those, you’re committed to making an entire blender full of margaritas.
A blender full of margaritas is not such a bad thing if you’re at a BBQ with 4-5 other margarita lovers, but what if you only have a couple margarita drinkers and the rest want a mojito?
The logistics of enjoying frozen margaritas is enough to make a margarita girl into an on-the-rocks type person. Or make her switch to wine. BBQs are stressful enough to bartend without having to rinse your blender out inside as you’re trying not to burn the hamburgers outside.
Now here I’m going to blow your mind. What if… your margaritas were made well in advance of any party and you only had to send people to grab one out of the freezer? What if you could make a whole pile of them, of different flavours, and let people self serve without having to clean the blender all evening long?
What if… you could have yourself a frozen margarita ANY TIME at all BY YOURSELF without wasting anything and without having to even dirty a glass to enjoy it?
Allow me to introduce to you the Mr. Freeze for those of drinking age: the Lime Margarita Freezie.
All you need to make your own adult freezer pops is some tequila, a handy-dandy can of premade frozen mix, some ice, and some plastic sleeves (when you’re Googling, search ice candy or ice pop). You can pick up the sleeves at Amazon or Bed Bath & Beyond, of all places. I guess that’s definitely the beyond.
Whichever option you pick, don’t try to make a moulded ice pop out of this one; the alcohol content of is simply too high. And let’s be fair, you don’t really want a solid but watery margarita-ish ice pop when you could have a good frozen margarita with the as-intended consistency of a Slurpee, would you?
Stay frosty this summer.
- 1 can Bacardi frozen margarita mix
- Add Bacardi margarita mix, 2 cans of ice, and slightly less than the instructed 1/2 can of tequila to a blender.
- Pulse blender until ice breaks down, then blend on low until smooth.
- Add an additional 1 1/2 cans of ice and 1/2 can of cold water and blend again until smooth.
- Using a funnel, spoon margarita slush into plastic sleeves, leaving 2 inches free to knot with (or stopping 1/2 inch from zip area if using zippered sleeves).
- Freeze for two hours. Pops will not solidify completely but achieve a firm state.
- Makes 7 large freezies, or 14 6" ones.
- Do not follow the Bacardi instructions on the can; the pops will have too much alcohol in them to freeze sufficiently.
Looking for more frozen treats for adults? Don’t miss this Frozen Sangria recipe. We’ve got your back here in Pleasantville.