I have opinions about French toast. Passionate opinions some might say, because to me French Toast is one of the world’s most perfect breakfast foods. I’m going to share a Freezer French Toast recipe with you today that is SO good you’ll probably love me forever. Just sayin’. But first, let’s talk about the most important ingredient.
Perfect French toast always starts with Challah. Yeah, yeah, I hear you. It should start with French crusty bread you say, because after all, it is French. But if you are to believe the internet, that’s actually not true, and we can safely move past that argument. What you do need to get your hands on is a perfect loaf of Challah from a local bakery (I get mine from our local bagel place and it’s to DIE for) and then let it get good and stale.
For this recipe, it’s important to set up a production line on your counter so you have the space to prepare it. Take a few minutes to clear the counter of homework, dropped keys, laptops, and old dishes. Nope, I am not looking through your window right now, this is sadly what my counter looks like most days.
Once you’re set up, it’s all hands on deck to pull together the most delicious French toast you’ve ever tried. Filled with cream cheese (I also recommend buying this from your local bagel place) and raspberry preserves, then coated in chopped almonds, this is a heavenly breakfast to serve! Because this Freezer French Toast is frozen in individual servings, you can pull it out to bake for a weekday breakfast, just as easily as you can for a crowd during the holidays. Don’t feel obligated to use raspberry preserves. You can easily mix this recipe up by using any flavour of preserves you love. Finally, if you have a peanut allergy in your family, I highly recommend ordering your nuts online through Royal Nuts like I do.
And now you can have delicious French toast waiting for you any day of the week. Enjoy!
- 1 loaf of Challah bread, sliced in 1 in slices horizontally and then cut vertically down the centre of loaf
- 227 g of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 3/4 cup of raspberry preserves
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 tsps of vanilla
- 250g chopped almonds
- Cut bread and set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat together cream cheese and sour cream until spreadable.
- Whisk eggs and milk together well in a wide shallow bowl.
- Place chopped almonds in a shallow dish.
- Spread cream cheese on one side of bread and raspberry preserves on the other and sandwich together.
- Using a slotted spatula or fork, dip both sides of sandwich into egg mixture and allow excess to drip away.
- Gently press both sides of egg dipped sandwich into chopped almonds to coat.
- Place on parchment covered sheet pan.
- Continue until all bread has been used.
- Transfer sheet pan to freezer and let sandwiches freeze solid (about 3 to 4 hours).
- Remove from freezer and wrap each sandwich individually in plastic wrap.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350F.
- Unwrap as many Frozen French Toast pieces as needed and place on a greased sheet pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until Frozen French Toast puffs up and is golden.
- Serve with Maple Syrup.