Falling in Love with Couples Swept Away Negril
I first fell in love with Jamaica when I was 22. In the years since, I’ve been twelve more times; three trips happening in the last year alone. Needless to say, if you’ve got questions about Jamaica, I’m happy to talk. I can make recommendations for great family resorts, fantastic luxury and budget accommodations, not to miss excursions, and my favourite topic, adult escapes.
We first visited Couples Swept Away Negril in 2006. For years after, my husband and I simply gushed about it to anyone who would listen. As time and our memory of it started to fade, we felt for sure it was time to check in again. I’m happy we did.
What You Need to Know About Couples Swept Away Negril
It Has a World Class Fitness Facility
A lot of resorts throw in a token gym in order to appease their hard-core fitness buffs. At Couples Swept Away, you might be surprised to find out that you have an athlete inside dying to get out. Across the street from the main resort you’ll find a world-class fitness facility. There are ten tennis courts, a weight gym, Squash court, Racquetball court, lap pool, a paracourse, and aerobics studio. Throw in daily yoga classes, clinics and private lessons all included in the price you pay and you’ll definitely be heading home with a new sport.
Tennis was by far my favourite activity during our visit and I loved how I could have a daily private lesson the entire time I was there. If you plan to do the same, make sure you book lessons in the mornings two days in advance during your stay and then take part in some of the beginner’s clinics in the afternoon. If you’re already a seasoned pro, don’t worry. There are intermediate and advanced clinics as well, not to mention one on one lessons to improve your game.
Not all activity happens at the fitness club of course. There is also an abundance of water sports included in your stay, including diving. To top it all off golf is also included. Put simply, you’re gonna need a longer holiday to get it all done.
Pro tip: If your muscles are sore do not miss having a Warm Bamboo Massage at the Oasis Spa. It can only be described as blissful.
The Beach is Unbeatable
There are pools at Couples Swept Away Negril but I don’t know know why anyone would want to use any of them. Couples Swept Away is one of only two larger resorts that sit on the pristine 7 mile stretch of Negril Beach.
Negril Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and Couples Swept Away is perfectly situated for you to enjoy it. Seagrape and Palm trees line the beach in front of the resort offering a perfect shady respite. For those seeking the sun in all it’s glory there’s tons of room to pull your chairs out to enjoy.
The water in Negril is shallow and warm and the sand, which is groomed daily, feels like flour between your toes. You can also leave your water shoes at home. There are no rocks, sea urchins or other such nuisances to contend with here. Nothing but soft sand entering the water.
The Rooms Will Sweep You Off Your Feet
The first time we stayed at Couples Swept Away we had a Gardenview Verandah suite and thought it was the bees knees. This time we upgraded to a Beachfront Verandah Suite and we’re never going back. Our room is quite literally ON the beach. I have often said I didn’t care what my room looked like because I never spent any time there anyway. Not this time.
With our room so conveniently located to the beach, we actually spent more time than usual on our verandah just taking in the beach. Did I mention the sunset on Negril Beach is quite conducive to romance?
No matter what room you choose, you’ll find that inside they are all wonderfully comfortable with simple decor and a classic Caribbean vibe. It not hard to see why it’s called “Swept Away”.
Pro tip: Do not miss the weekly bonfire on the beach complete with musician.
Little Things to Note
- Bring hair conditioner if you need it. The resort offers only the 2 in 1 Shampoo in the room and after a week of salt water you might find your hair needs a little bit more.
- There are three tiny gift shops on resort. So if you do run out of an essential, you’ll be covered.
- We have travelled to Jamaica many times at the end of November. It seems to be an ideal time to visit. Prices are lower, crowds are quieter and the weather has always been exceptional.
- Book your tennis lessons two days in advance, and try to shoot for early morning before the sun gets too high.
- There is literally ZERO reason to leave this resort, even some excursions are included in your booking price. So before you balk at the price be sure to ask yourself what it would cost you for the extras that are already included; catamaran cruise to Negril cliffs, tennis lessons, scuba diving, golf, glass bottom boat ride, shopping excursion to Negril and MUCH MORE.
- No tipping means NO TIPPING here. What the employees do love here is recognition on Trip Advisor so be sure to note names and give them some loving over there.
Did I miss something you want to know about this resort? Ask me in the comments and I’ll let you know.