Dinner in 15 is no joke in this house. It’s a real occurrence twice a week when my children fly through the door after school and have exactly 30 minutes to get changed, eat and then leave for their four hour cheer practice. Dinner has to be perfectly planned to include three key elements—it must be fast, it must be nutritious and it must be portable if we’re rushing out the door.
That’s where Maple Leaf Prime Oven Roasted Chicken Strips come in. Perfectly cooked and ready to go they are the start of a lot of great nutritious recipes. They work great in wraps, soups, salads, and sandwiches and cut cooking and prep time down substantially, which is perfect for moms trying to serve healthy meals in a rush! For any recipe that calls for cooked chicken, these Prime Chicken Strips are a terrific shortcut.
This Grilled Tex Mex Sandwich is one of my favourite dinner in 15 recipes. It meets all three of my requirements – fast, nutritious and portable.
Here’s why I love this Grilled Tex Mex Sandwich:
Maple Leaf Prime Chicken – is low in fat and high in protein with 12 g per 50g. It’s exactly what my athletic girls need to get them through a four hour practice.
Black Beans – help pack this sandwich with protein and provide needed fibre
Tomatoes – provide needed Vitamin C and A, and a healthy dose of lycopene
Avocados – Aside from providing a creamy delicious taste to this sandwich, avocados are a nutritional powerhouse giving my girls the healthy fats they need to grow and play hard
Cheddar Cheese – provides calcium for strong bones
Whole Grain Bread – delivers need carbohydrates to power them through their workout. Whole grains are always better than processed so look for it where you can.
- Two slice whole grain bread
- 3-4 Slices of Maple Leaf Prime Chicken
- Two slices tomato
- Two slices cheddar cheese
- Three thin slices of avocado
- 1 tbsp of black beans
- 1 tbsp of salsa
- Layer one slice of bread with cheese slice, add 3 to 4 slices of Maple Leaf Prime Chicken, then add tomatoes, black beans, avocado, salsa and then final slice of cheese. Top with final slice of bread. Lightly butter or brush outside of bread with olive oil before placing in panini press.
- You can also grill this sandwich in a pan. Just be cautious it doesn't fall apart on you when you flip it.
Thanks to Maple Leaf for sponsoring this post in Pleasantville. The opinions expressed here are solely those of the author.