What are baked pancakes?
This is always the question when someone asks me for easy breakfast or brunch recipes and I tell them baked pancakes. Whether you’re trying to avoid spending tons of time flipping pancakes or are hosting a brunch and need something kid-friendly, baked pancakes are perfect.
Don’t get me wrong, there will always be a special place in my heart for made-from-scratch pancakes. One of my favourite memories is sitting at my grandmother’s kitchen table watching her flip pancake after pancake with one hand and fry breakfast sausage with the other. Over the holidays, there would often be 20 or more people waiting for pancakes and on quieter visits, I’d often ask Grandma if we could have pancakes for dinner. Somehow, Grandma’s pancakes always turned out perfectly. Always golden and always perfectly round, except for the times she got really creative and made them in shapes (without a mold). My favourite shape she ever made was a moose!
No matter whether they’re baked or flipped, the best pancakes are served with warm real Canadian maple syrup.
Just like the flipped version, baked pancakes are incredible versatile. I’m including a list of delicious add-ins if you’re feeling creative, but will be completely honest and say the only thing my kids (and husband) want added into their pancakes is chocolate chips (the milk chocolate kind).
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- In large bowl, add milk, eggs, butter and vanilla and whisk gently until mixed.
- In the exact same bowl (yay for less dishes!) add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and stir until combined.
- If you’re adding any of the “add-ins” below, add those in now and mix in gently.
- Pour into 9 x 13 buttered baking pan and bake in pre-heated 350F oven for 30 minutes.
- Let cool 3-5 minutes (this is the perfect time to heat up your maple syrup), then slice and serve.
Here are some perfect add-ins:
- 1 ½ cups of blueberries
- 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips (we use the milk chocolate kind)
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple and 1 tsp cinnamon
- Zest of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 cup of blueberries
- Cooked and crumbled bacon (I would pour the batter into the pan and add the bacon on top)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder, 1 cup chocolate chips and ½ cup peanut butter
- Substitute egg nog for the milk and add 1 tsp cinnamon.
- 1 ½ cups of frozen berries (ex: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc…)